(Title comes from Aiden's Fisher-Price toy)
Today Rod and I took Aiden to the zoo for the first time. It was an experience. Aiden, being the wonderful baby he is, sat happily in his stroller with little fuss. Actually, he slept through half of it. So, what was the actual experience? It was a very good reminder about how much I hate large crowds were more than half the group is small children!
This is actually not the fault of the children. It is really amazing how many people yell at their kids in public! I understand being frustrated, but I do not see how screaming at the child will actually solve anything. Do not get me wrong, there are times when I think a strong voice is necessary, but these children were not in mortal danger. The kids were being kids. That's all! If you do not like how your kids behave at the zoo....don't take them to the zoo!!! If they can't behave then don't take them! Simple. If they become out of control then it might just be time to take them home. Screaming at them will not change anything except ruin the day for yourself, the child, and everyone that has to witness this.
Granted my child is only seven months old. I have never had to deal with a tantrum so it is possible that I will respond the same way as the parents I saw today. All I can say is that I sincerely hope that I will find a better way. I think that children throw tantrums because they are frustrated about something. Maybe they are tired or hungry. Yelling will not solve that. Maybe they really want that $30 stuffed animal....if the child has been good and you can afford it why not? If you can't buy it and the child gets upset yelling just won't help.
How about the next time we see a parent yelling at a child we go up and start yelling at them and tell them to stop screaming while we yank them by the arm. How do you think they will respond? Do you think this will calm them down?
No comments:
Post a Comment