After trying for three and a half months I have finally given up on "successful" breastfeeding. Shortly after I decided to throw in the towel I was watching television (20/20 perhaps?) and they were talking about extreme parenting. One of the topics was women that breastfeed their children for years and years!
Okay, I do agree that breastfeeding is the best thing for babies. (I tried for over 3 months you can give it two weeks.) I also think that we do not breastfeed our children for as long as we probably should. I do, however, think it is emotionally harmful to still be breastfeeding a six year old! That child was not feeding for nourishment. He and the mother admitted that it was for comfort.
It is in my opinion that it is important for children to learn how to comfort themselves. All children learn at their own pace. I was lucky in the fact that Aiden gave up his pacifier (on his own) around three months and learned to self sooth with his hands. I know that some kids hold on to theirs for years, but could you imagine a six year old going to school with a pacifier?
I think that as a mother it is my job to do what is best for my child. I loved the bond I had with Aiden while I was breastfeeding. I also loved it was something that only I could provide for him. This does not mean that this is the best thing for him once he is over two. Although there is a nutritional benefit to breast milk I think (still MY opinion) that there is a point where it needs to stop. Once a child is old enough to get all their nutrition from solid foods (totally off of formula/breast milk) it is time to stop. Find other ways to comfort your children and teach them how to comfort themselves. In other words...CUT THE FREAKING CORD!!!
New Life, new blog
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment