When having a baby there is a lot of information out there. This is why they have things like childbirth education classes. In just four short weeks you can learn just about everything that can be taught in a classroom setting! Oh! That class does not cover everything? Hmmm.
Today I registered for the childbirth education class. This was not as easy as you might think it would be. The class size is VERY small. I literally got the last spot in any of the classes before September. (My advice? Plan ahead!) This class is not cheap and it really does not cover everything a new parent needs to know. Things like breastfeeding and infant care are covered in completely different classes! And the classes that tell you how to keep sane, once your bundle of joy does come, are even split into separate classes for men and women. (Yes, you have to pay for them separately as well.) Then there is the Happiest Baby On The Block class. I actually do not know much about the book, DVD, or class. What I do know is that it was strongly recommended to me. It is my understanding that this helps keep the baby from crying a lot. Have I mentioned I hate noise?
You would think that having so much to learn would be stressful enough. Until you add up the price of all the classes. Today I told my mom that I had decided not to take the childbirth class and would wing it from books and watching SO much Discovery Health Channel. In all her wisdom, Mom told me that she did not think that would be a good idea. She is of the opinion that the more you know the better off you will be. (She might be right.) She also had the insight to know that it is a good bonding experience as well as a way to help the father feel included. (Isn't this his fault?) Her suggestion was that she would pay for the classes. Thank God!
I am very thankful that we will be able to take the classes. I think that I had talked myself into believing that we could do without them. This might be true (millions of years of history tells me this), but I have to think that the more I know the more prepared I will be. There are so many things to worry about when having a baby. I hope these classes help to relieve some of the worry and the stress.
If nothing else? The classes will give me something to write about!
New Life, new blog
16 years ago
1 comment:
Thanks for reading my blog and commenting.
And congrats on your baby!
Post a Comment