Thursday, September 11, 2008

Time For An Update

Okay, so I haven't been the best at updating. This is probably because most of the people that want to know what is going call me within hours of my appointments. Which I have to admit is pretty great. I have also signed up for Twitter in order to keep people updated. Twitter is not like Myspace of Facebook, but it simply a way to give quick status updates to all of your friends. If you want to know when I go into labor and all other information as soon as it happens I recommend signing up. It is great because you can have status updates sent to you as text message. You can even pick and choose who's updates you want sent to you!

Okay, that being said lets go back to Tuesday. As you might remember, I had an ultrasound a month ago and they estimated Aiden's weight to be 3 lbs 11 oz. At that point he was in the 15th percentile and they asked me to come back in 3-4 weeks. So, Tuesday we went back to get another estimate on his weight. As before my amniotic fluid and bloodflow looked good and this time Aiden measured in at 5 lbs 6 oz. This of course is an estimate.

Today we had an appointment with Dr. Marley who is a very no nonsense and straight forward kind of guy. He tells you everything you need to know as matter of factly as possible. At the appointment he let us know that Aiden is now lower than the 10th percentile for size. He asked if there is a family history on my Mother's side for smaller babies. The strangest thing to me is that this is the first time anyone has asked me this! He is also the first person to actually say that there was a possibility of induction and tell me the circumstances of that happening. I have known about this possibility for a couple of weeks, but this is from reading on my own.

After today's exam exam, Dr. Marley suggested that I start doing a non-stress test twice a week starting today. As with everything else this went well and there was no sign that we should be concerned at this time. I am also not at a point where induction is the best option as I am only 1-1.5 cm dilated. So, unless it happens on it's own it will be at least another week before I would be induced. Considering I am not a huge fan of the idea of induction I think that it is time to see if we can get things moving along by walking more and other more natural ways.

As things stand now, I see no real reason to worry. I am two weeks away from my due date and Aiden moves on a regular basis. I would, however, feel much better to have him on the outside where I think his growth would improve.

1 comment:

Alison said...

You are right not to worry...worrying will just lead to nowhere! If they do have to induce, it's not the worst thing in the world.

I was barely six pounds at birth and I was born right on time, the natural way.